why am I learning BSL

NatalieBee

I'm a Qualified Dental Nurse and Lead Receptionist at my dental practice. 

I've decided to do a BSL course as we do not have anyone here on hand to support Deaf or Hard of Hearing people in our practice and I want to change that. 

I feel its important to offer absolutely everyone the best possible level of care and so here I am. 

I don't really understand why sign language isn't taught in our schools and feel that we all need to be more inclusive of all people in life. 

Were all in life together, so we should all try to fit into each others world and be less isolated. 

• Like 1

Hi Nataliebee.  Its great to read this as i am very hard of hearing myself and always have a lot of trouble at the dentist.  I have been going to my appointments there for years, and always tell her,  but unfortunately she just keeps talking to me from behind with a mask on! we get by somehow but it would be so much easier if her or the dental nurse, who is usually in front of me, could sign.  With people like yourself around we have hope for the future.  Yes i totally agree that BSL should be taught at school. There is a young boy (so rude i know, but i have forgotten his name )who has been campaigning for a GSE in BSL  to be introduced  to the school curriculum. i remember signing the petition a long time ago now.  I wish you the best in your BSL course. Take care  Delia.