Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello,

I'm taking an online Level 1 and 2 BSL course and I can't identify some of the signs the used in the video lessons. They also don't list all the signs they used in the videos and it is nearly impossible to figure out the signs from context. I have been using a few websites online that offer vocabulary searches, but they often don't have what I'm looking for. I am also hosting a BSL chat and study group for my colleagues, and I put together lesson supplements to help them, but am often unable to find the signs I need online to post on the lesson supplements (since it takes me ages sometimes to figure out what some of the signs are, or am unable to find a particular variant). Are there any online resources that have a more comprehensive list of signs I can look through like a visual dictionary? Here are the sign search websites I'm using: 

https://www.spreadthesign.com/en.gb/search/ 

https://www.signbsl.com/

https://bslsignbank.ucl.ac.uk/

https://www.britishsignlanguage.com/

Or if anyone is able to chat with me via Zoom to help me figure out some of the signs I'm struggling with, please let me know and I'd be happy to host a Zoom session. Any advice welcome!!

Thank you so much,

Gabi

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...