Hello all,

Although I have full hearing, I spent two years with a man , from birth, a member of the Deaf Community, he was taught at a residential school in the 60s . The prison regime offered no trained users of BSL, His isolation prompted me to learn. Library books and daily interaction with him over the two years taught me a lot. I acted on his behalf with the regime, letters, everything that involved English language. Some of the more abstract concepts were beyond daily usage. He is not able to use a standard telephone, no mini-com available, the regime gets around equality by "we provide two letters per week free", this to a man who was never taught English. At what level I have acquired I do not know. I am an OAP now and have time enough to pursue more knowledge but unfortunately not the ability to meet course fees. Any ideas welcome. Josh.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Hi there, I've been learning BSL for about two years now and I'm currently half way through my level two course. I am studying occupational therapy at university and I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with occupational therapy as a Deaf service user or know of anyone who has used BSL as a method of communication while using occupational therapy?       
    • Not quite sure what you mean! I pressed the create button to make my original post asking for the BSL signs mentioned in my post. I don't see what you mean by suggesting I press the create button again!  
    • Hi there, I'm new to BSL and I am interested in how to teach English as a second language (ESL) to those who are hard of hearing and to those who are visually impaired. If there are any books that would give a seasoned ESL teacher pointers on how to do this, please can you recommend them. I look forward to receiving your recommendations and feedback.
    •  on the top of the page is a create button press that !
    • I wondered if anybody knows if there is a sign for papercrafting or something similar? I want to be able to tell my friends what my hobbies include without fingerspelling everything, which is arduous for them as much as for me. I make cards and other papercraft things. I also wonder if there is a sign for mermaid? My daughter is obsessed with them. I'm much the same with unicorns so if someone knows a sign for unicorn it would be much appreciated as the one time I tried I ended up trying to show a horn on my head and ended up making a rude sign, which was mortifying to say the least! Many thanks in advance for any help you can give x
    • Hi, I'm learning BSL as I am slowly losing my hearing, but also because I have deaf friends and want to communicate with them in their own language rather than just mine. Having completed a taster BSL course I am waiting to join a Level 1 BSL course in January. My friend has taught me quite a lot already although I realise its just a drop in the ocean as is the same with any new language. It takes time and practice to learn enough to get by!
    • Hi, I've just joined and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from you and hopefully be able to help others. I've just completed a BSL taster course and am waiting to join a Level 1 course in January. I am slowly losing my hearing and have deaf friends so it would be nice to be able to communicate with them in their language rather than just mine, as well as provide for the future should my hearing get much worse. I currently wear hearing aids to assist me. I live just outside Kidderminster in Worcestershire, not far from Birmingham, with my hubby and youngest but grown-up daughter. We have two dogs and a cat who is even more anti-social than I am!
    • Is there anywhere in the Ashingdon, Essex area which does any BSL courses, for beginners, with a TBI?
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker