Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have recently started dating a girl who speaks and teaches BSL. I myself have a partial hearing loss and have started to learn BSL. I really like the girl and would like to ask her to be my girlfriend but I would like to do it in BSL. Can anyone help me construct this question and possibly show me how to sign it? I am very new to signing so I don’t have the knowledge to formulate this myself. 

  • 1 month later...
Posted

I am starting to learn BSL so cannot help with the translation of signing it at this time but recommend an animated series from Japan starting on 6 January 2004 in the new year soon.  It is about a deaf girl who is a college student who befriends an university student.  He speaks three languages but sign language is not one of them so he starts to learn it after they met.  The title is called A Sign of Affection, and it is going to be aired online in many anime platforms. 

You can check the series from the Anime News Network website link A Sign of Affection (TV) - Anime News Network:W where I first heard about it for more information.  It is usually available in other languages including english subtitles, a few days to a week later than the original japanese version on anime sites (recommend the following - animepahe, animesuge, animedao).  There are more other sites that have the english subbed versions available online so do some research.  

Since you do not have full knowledge of BSL, there are other ways to communicate and that is to show her the information of the new anime coming out next year.  As the story is quite relevant to your and her circumstances, it is a good start especially both might like watching animation with real life issues.  

I am glad to have come across this forum as having heard news about the successful campaign bringing the language into schools in 2025, it seems that the global community is also spreading awareness of its importance as Japan have created an anime series based on the hearing impaired, which are also created by sign language animators so this is really is one of the mostly anticipated animated series for winter 2024.

Please try watching it and see how it progresses.  Usually the anime will air every week on the same day, so it will be available on Saturdays from 6 January to 23 March 2024 which is around 12 weeks, about 25 minutes each chapter, probably 12 chapters in total.  The link is here Official website of the TV anime "Yubisaki and Love" (yubisaki-pr.com)

Best wishes for the new year and good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...