Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All, 

My name is Sam Murphy and I work in the Holidays and Volunteering team at Sense. I just wanted to get in touch to share an opportunity for any members of this forum to get involved and practice their BSL skills on the way.

Sense Holidays are for groups of disabled children, young people and adults who are deafblind, have multi-sensory impairments or other complex communication needs. Each holiday experience is unique as they are planned around the needs and interests of the holidaymakers. Sense Holidays take place throughout England and this year there are volunteering opportunities from July until November

Sense Holidays couldn’t happen without our fantastic volunteers! As a volunteer you will be supporting a child, young person or adult as they try new things, make new connections, create memories and have fun! You’ll be part of a team making sure each break is the very best experience it can be for everyone involved.

Each break is different, and could include swimming, drumming, visits to local attractions, canoeing, dry slope skiing, meals out, or nights in the pub! Volunteering on a Sense Holiday is completely free of charge and all your accommodation, food and activity expenses will be covered.

If you’d be interested in volunteering on our 2019 Holidays then please complete our application form by clicking Apply Now.  Here you can let us know which weeks you’re available, what kind of age group you’d like to work with and what you’d like to get out of volunteering.

For our summer holidays, we will invite you to a Preparation Day on May 18th at Touchbase Pears in Selly Oak, Birmingham. It is vital that you can attend this day if you want to volunteer on a summer holiday. We can reimburse travel for this day.

As a Sense Holidays volunteer you will -

- Develop existing skills or learn new ones.
- Learn about complex communication needs
- Have an amazing experience supporting a child, young person or adult as they create great memories!
- Plus it’s free – full training and support is provided

Volunteering on a Sense Holiday is a great way to meet people, try new challenges, explore new ways of communicating and visit new places, all while experiencing a huge sense of achievement. As a Sense volunteer you are valued  for your time and energy, and for the unique contribution you bring.

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...