Hi Olivia,

The best way to start to learn BSL is to learn the Alphabet (finger spell). Once you mastered that move onto the simple signs, hello, goodbye, how are you etc.. Just pick it up from there. There is lots of free videos on YouTube to help you along too. Although please do remember that each part of the United Kingdom may or may not have a different sign from somewhere 20 miles down the road, it's just like us having 'dialect' in English. If you need any help in getting started, don't hesitate to ask

Chrisy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• I have recently become an ECA and whilst sat by a river on standby with my friend one day he told me he had signed up for a BSL course. I thought you know what that sounds like a good idea I will do the same. So I did. A week later my friend died unexpectedly and it was the worst time in my life. I miss him so much but I thought I would still do this course anyway, we were going to use it to sign to each other during cardiac arrests as we have to wear Level 3 PPE at the moment which makes it ver
    • Hey guys, My name's Lucy and I'm a student at the moment training to be a nanny. I did a placement last year in a school for children with Special Educational Needs and absolutely loved it, so I'm trying to learn a little bit of BSL so I'm able to communicate with deaf/Deaf children or any person that uses sign language to communicate, as I'd like to retrain as a Special Needs teacher later on. I'm still a total beginner but I'm hoping to pick it up:)
    • Hello, I have always been interested in learning sign language but have no idea of the road map to get qualified. there seems to be various courses some more than others. If anyone can point me to the A to B to C guide to learning it would be very much appreciated. Thanks J.
    • Did anybody see this segment on Blue Peter? Mwaksy takes a look into how BSL is a lifeline to most deaf or hard of hearing people. She visits a theatre group in Cardiff which consists of children between the ages of 3-18 who communicate via BSL. Mwaksy chats to the children and finds out how this group has empowered them as ind
    • Hello all, my names Sophie, I have always been interested in sign and I  knew a little but recently through my work, myself and the other youth workers have all enrolled on this course. We work for an LGBT+ youth charity in Sheffield and are keen to make are services inclusive for everyone
    • I´m currently studying BSL, I would like to have new skills for my career and to be able to communicate whit everyone, also I´m looking for someone with whom to train what I learned. king regards¡  
    • Hiya, I would also be keen on practicing, I'm nearly at the end of the course
    • Hi Me too please. I am currently completing BSL course - Have my exam in two weeks to achieve level 1. PS - my name is Jade.
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker