Sign in to follow this  
Antonio

Need help

Hello Im portuguese I'm living here in london 5 years, half a year I met a lady and I fall in love. She has hearing loss, so, my life been a hell to get her a job. She worked in Marriott  Hotel for a week then they sent her home, 3 months went through and I fond her other hotel job through my community, this portuguese lady made her to hell to the point of saying "you just listen when you want", "If you don't listen properly go and fix that stuff" or if is not that, she chases her to the changing rooms when she says, I need to change the battery. 

The only thing I ask here is how do I get her to learn BSL if she does not speak english, and there is any job she can do with this disability?

Thanks guys...

Signed languages are their own languages and one can learn a signed language without knowing the spoken language from the country the sign is used. For instance, I do not know Spanish but I can sign with people from Spanish speaking countries. I have a friend in Colombia and understand Coloumbian signs not through Spanish but through the languages I am fluent in: American Sign Language and English.

I am learning BSL and very new but I suppose it is the same way. Of course it is good for your love to learn English for writing purposes (and maybe understand the etymology of signs that may be borrowed from English) but overall, it is not 100% essential for learning and understanding sign.

Edited by KaleLing
My brain isn't processing proper prepositions today.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm am doing BSL to be able to be better at communicating to the children and young adults that i work with 
    • Hi all My name is Nadia (known as Badja). I am learning BSL to help me progress to be a SEN assistant in school and help children with learning difficulties to swim.  Hope you are all keeping safe and well  
    • Hello everyone. I am so happy I found this page as I am relatively new to signing and I could use a group like this with all you lovely people. I work as a SENDCo at a primary school. I was wondering if anybody here has come across a helpful scheme/program that I could use/adapt for our school. I want to make sure that children are taught the right level of BSL and the right topics but there is so little guidance out there. Thank you in advance!
    • Good morning, afternoon, evening! My name is Sirius, well technically it is my nickname but I don't go by my birth name. I am 25 years old, I used to work on psychiatric wards both private and NHS run but I quit my job as a support worker before the recent pandemic hit the UK.  I have always had a love for BSL, I have learned little bits a pieces here and there over the years but never anything substantial enough to communicate properly. I have decided to fully educate myself now because
    • Hello. Was just interested what sign language do you use if not BSL to communicate with your brother. Is there another sign language used in the UK?
    • Hi just started learning BSL. I'm a student paramedic so I figure it will be useful. Also looking forward to using it with my downs friend (who prefers signing to talking). So far I can spell, count, and make basic sentences and questions to do with locations, colours, and jobs. It's amazing, Ive only been learning a few days and I feel I can already have a (very) basic conversation.
    • My name is Beth, i am 24 and a qualified Occupational Therapist working in the NHS for 2 years. Working for the NHS during the lockdown period i continued to work, more shifts, later shifts and I had to adapt massively to the changes in service to meet the needs of our patients during lockdown and coronavirus. I chose to begin BSL as something to distract myself when home, my younger brother has Autism and we communicate through sign, albeit not british sign language, i learnt basic signs t
    • Thats a good question! I first learnt the alphabet when I was 14 at a local school trip away. Genuinely fascinated by the language, I find myself a fair few years later married to a partner who has a deaf brother. Our conversation is great, but not to a level where I would love to have a more indepth conversation with him  Hence why I am learning  
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker