Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all. Am hearing but decided I'd like to learn ASL and have just started today!

Got some very basic phrases down and am trying to learn the alphabet. Any tips and pointers welcome. Would be amazing if there was anything willing to do some teaching too.

 

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I'm really a beginner, but here's one tip my professor gave me when I took ASL1 last year: don't "imprint" fingerspelling, but try to make it more of a smooth transition from one letter to another. This is obviously easier said than done (I'm guilty of it as well sometimes), but it'll also just come with practice. Hope I manage to show what I mean in the video :)

Posted

I've been trying to work on that but a lot of times my hands don't want to cooperate with me and it can get really frustrating. I really appreciate your feed back though. Thank you I will be working on that more intensely now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...