Jump to content

EPQ project - Should Deafness be treated as a disability or a difference?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello,

My name is Katherine and I am currently an A-level student doing my EPQ project( similar to a dissertation) which discusses the question of 'should Deafness be treated as a disability or a difference?'

My essay revolves around 4 topics: what is Deafness?, the medical/scientific view of deafness and the perception of ‘disability’, the views of the Deaf community (deaf history, deaf culture and threat of losing that culture eg cochlear implants)  and the ethics of ‘treating’ and trying to cure Deafness ( looks at the cultural impacts of 'curing' deafness. However, in order to both complete my project and do it in a way that accurately reflects the views of the Deaf community I need to include the opinions of Deaf people but also hearing people connected to the Deaf community as well. It would be immensely helpful if anyone could reply to this and answer the questions below as soon as possible - ideally by September 15th 2020. Moreover, just to let you know that I will include your initials when quoting you during the essay- eg SR on a signlanaguge.com forum said "...…".

Thank you for reading this and I hope to her some responses soon!!

Questions 

1) How does being Deaf impact your identity? ( is it a key part, is good/bad etc).

2) What are your opinions on the use of treatments/'cures' such as cochlear implants on Deaf individuals?(are they a positive/negative thing for the Deaf community, do people feel pressured to get them, do they eliminate the need for BSL and will therefore threaten the language into extinction) .

3) What does Deaf culture mean to you? 

4) Do you believe Deafness is a disability or a difference?

5) Are there any other points that you believe I should include?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

    • Hi Mark, I hope you're enjoying the BSL Level course. The Scottish Sensory Centre website is great for science and technology signs: https://www.ssc.education.ed.ac.uk/BSL/ Melanie
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with Kat.   Starting in October 2026, running for 18 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-thursday-eve-oct-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Few spaces left on our next BSL Level 1 Evening course with John.   Starting in September 2026, running for 22 weeks.   For more details, visit our website: www.remark.uk.com/bsl-courses/level-1-tues-eve-sept-2026   Let’s start your BSL journey with Remark!   #BSL #Level1 #BritishSignLanguage
    • Hi all, I've just started a BSL Level 1 course, and next week we're going to sign about work. I'm trying to work out in advance how to sign what I do, but struggling a bit, so I hope the community here can help. I'm a Satellite Communications Engineer (communications as in telecommunications). Looking on SignBSL there are multiple signs for satellite. I rather like the one with the dominant hand index finger orbiting a closed fist, as it invokes the satellite rather than the dishes. I'm struggling to work out how to sign Communications (in the telecom sense). Engineer seems fairly straightforward, fingers on both hands meshed and rotating like cog-wheels. Any advice as how best to sign my job please? Obviously, I'll discuss it with my teacher too, but would like to have some idea before the class if I can. Many thanks! 
    • Hi  My name is Julie. I have been fortunate enough to be able to access the British Sign Language course via Nerve Tumours UK, a national charity which provides support and advice for families living with Neurofibromatosis. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis Type 2 (NF2) in 1994 when I was 30 years old. I am fortunate to be mildly affected by the condition with only slight hearing loss in my right ear following surgery 30 years ago. I have made many friends over the years who are profoundly deaf and I have always wanted to learn but never had the time or opportunity. Learning about this course through the charity gave me the impetus to set aside the time to learn. I want to be able to communicate with my friends and family and future proof my life if I lose my hearing further down the line. I am finding it quite hard to set aside the quiet time to learn as we are in the process of relocating to Devon, but I am determined to succeed.
    • Hi there, I am Hannah-Mae and I am enjoying learning more sign language. I grew up with a partially deaf sister, and now my Dad is profoundly deaf. It always struck me how isolating the world still is for the deaf community. I unfortunately will be blind in a few years time but I know that both people's attitudes and modern living is much more accommodating of visual impairments than hearing ones. Because people don't see it they don't consider it. I work in communications for a charity, and am pushing for more sign language inclusion. All our videos have subtitles as standard but we can go further both on recorded and live events. I also am really behind BSL in the curriculum. Whilst I can still see I want to help make it so that the communities we live in are more inclusive.  
    • try the three versions i sometimes see being used
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

    (top 10 - past 24hrs)

  • Fingerspelling Animation Maker

×
×
  • Create New...