Extended Project on BSL

Hello, my name is Alice :)

I am a first year sixth form student currently trying to figure out what to do my extended project on. Over the first lock-down I completed the British-sign.co.uk introductory course to BSL since learning a language, especially one that is fairly common but not as well known to hearing people, interest me as well as the fact that I think I would like to go into a healthcare profession so it would be a valuable skill and I really enjoyed the learning that I did.  

I'm writing this post to determine peoples opinions on whether it would be okay to do an artifact project on BSL (a physical thing/performance, likely a video) or whether I should just do a dissertation on it/something else. I question this because I am hearing and do not know anyone who uses BSL to communicate, obviously I would do my research like I would for any project, however this does mean that I want to gauge whether making a physical thing (likely a "teaching" tool) is okay when it would be something I learn/teach myself. Part of the extended project expectation is to learn/develop a skill which I believe I would be doing, it is just a case of whether people think it is okay to "teach" something that I would first have to learn/that I have no understanding of already. 

Apologies if this doesn't make any sense, I'm more than happy to reiterate for any details I may have missed or not communicated well enough. If the answer to this question is common knowledge sorry, I like to clarify things when I am unsure.

Thank you already to anyone who has taken the time to read this. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Posts

• Sense Holidays Volunteer Do you have experience of supporting people with complex needs? Are you a skilled communicator, able to communicate with people who have multi-sensory impairments? If so, volunteering on a Sense Holiday will be a rewarding experience that enables you to use these incredible skills to provide support to people with complex disabilities to communicate and experience the world. Volunteering on a Sense Holiday is a truly unique experience, giving you the opportunity to connect with people, learn new skills and make special memories.   We bring people together for holidays full of fun, friendship and new experiences. You will be key to this; providing hands on support for people on the holiday – from supporting people to participate in group activities, supporting the building of friendships to providing support with personal care. Having a welcoming, clean and safe environment on our holidays is important, so you will also support with cooking meals for the group and general cleaning. We are looking for volunteers who have considerable experience supporting people with complex needs and those who can communicate using British Sign Language. Please note that our Sense Holiday volunteer opportunities are available to applicants aged 18 and over. Our holidays are fun and provide the opportunity for new experiences and adventures – our volunteers need to be enthusiastic, positive, friendly, resilient and ready to have fun! Click the link below to find out more and to see the application form: http://bttr.im/wk28t Any questions please email [email protected]
    • I’m learning BSL to improve my understanding of how deaf people communicate and interact with others 
    • Hi, I’ve just started learning BSL as I wanted a new skill during lockdown. Looking forward to using this site :) 
    • Hi everyone, I've been doing this course for a couple of weeks now and I'm really enjoying it. I've been wanting to learn sign language for a while and starting  DofE felt like the perfect opportunity. I think it's a great skill to have in life and I'm really excited to learn more. 
    • It is a skill I always wanted to have, even if it was in a minimal amount. But since the start of the pandemic, I've been considering how wearing masks must have massively affected the deaf community. So, I decided to take this course to learn some BSL, even if it is just the basics, as it could be useful at any point even after the pandemic is eventually over.
    • hi everyone, I've just finished my third BSL lesson. I'm excited to know even a little bit of sign language, you never know when it might come in handy, especially during the pandemic.
    • Just saying hello, part way through my "introduction to sign language course"
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker