Ian Wakelin

looking for bsl practice partners via skype

Hi. I’m currently learning British Sign Language for the deaf… level 1 at my local adult education centre. However its 2hrs a wk. & I need to practice with someone via skype etc. in order to consolidate. If anyones interested please get in contact….warm regards, ian

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hello all, My name is Amy and I'm new to BSL. I have no real knowledge of how to sign but I am pushing to learn as quickly as possible. Due to my previous career working in a very loud environment for HM Armed Forces I have got acute hearing loss in my left ear which is accompanied by persistent unilateral tinnitus on the same side. This has resulted in me getting very frequent Audio and Photo sensitive migraines. I have been told by the doctors that my hearing will only keep deteriorating, and is has even within the last 6 months. I still have good hearing with my right ear, however I am extremely worried about losing it too and so I have decided to learn BSL. Even with the hearing I have, I find I get very overwhelmed by noise, especially multiple sources, which leaves me disoriented.. Thats a little about me!  Amy
    •   A carpool karaoke lip sync video in support of World Down Syndrome Day features 50 mums and their children singing along to Christina Perri's multi-platinum selling track, "A Thousand Years". The mums are all part of a Facebook group known as "Designer Genes" created for parents who have a child with Down’s Syndrome born in 2013/14. They got together to show the world just how ordinary and fun life with the condition is and how they "Wouldn't Change a Thing". The video was originally inspired by Singing Hands - a UK organisation who's videos have helped many in the group learn Makaton for supporting their children’s communication development. Makaton is designed to help hearing people with learning or communication difficulties using signs, symbols alongside speech. With thanks to the artist Christina Perri for her support and Singing Hands for the original concept.    
    • Hi Vee, Sorry, it's so difficult to get people here at the same time.  I drop in when I can but never see anyone in the chat areas so I am using resources online to practice.  Life kinda gets in the way.... One good website I have found is http://www.mybslbooks.com Signed children's story books and it is free!    
    • Hi Joanne, Yes it will, focus on technique and accuracy and speed will naturally come with time
    • Hi everyone, I am currently doing level 2, working on my presentation.  Loving signing but not the fastest and finding the flow difficult, suppose it will come with practice. 
    • I forgot to mention, I am hoping to learn London BSL.  I know some signs tend to vary by area, so hoping to learn the signs which are most prominent around London. Thank you~~
    • Hello, A bit about me: I'm 27. I have been studying BSL on my own for just under two months. My vocabulary is about 325 words + the alphabet. I would love to take a public class to further my skills (especially grammar!), but here's the catch: I live in japan!  So I'm looking for someone who has advanced level BSL to meet with once a week over Skype for lessons.  I am more than happy to pay for the private tutoring.  Would anyone here be interested in this, or know of a resource to find an online tutor?  Japan and UK timezones match up so that we could meet in the UK-morning/Japan-evening.   Thanks!
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker

• Random BSL Videos