Kayla Smith

WHY ARE YOU LEARNING BSL?

Why are you learning BSL?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you learning BSL?

I have wanted to learn BSL for many years now, but was unable to get signed up to any evening classes at college due to over subscription.  I work with CAB and we have no advisers who speak BSL and therefore this creates a barrier for deaf clients if they do not have an interpreter.   

I’m trying to learn BSL as I’m losing my hearing and want to learn before I lose it rather than to try once it’s gone. I am going to try online as I have been unable to get onto a BSL course locally.

• Like 1

Hi there. I have a deaf son but he dosnt use BSL. I also work in a school with hearing impaired unit. I have had the opportunity to learn level 2 at work, and passed. I feel so proud but since passing I don’t seem to be using it as much as I’d like... it seems difficult to find work in my local area working with deaf adults & using level 2 skills

• Like 1

On 12/07/2018 at 08:41, Kayla Smith said:

Why are you learning BSL?

I fell in love with my boyfriend and we where having normal conversations and then we went on a date and we had background music on and I said how wonderful the song was and he told me he couldn’t hear it and told me he was deaf I’m not going to let that stand in the way and I want to be able to communicate with him on a level that he feels more comfortable with 

• Like 4

I want to be able to talk to everyone because everyone is the same . My grandad was deaf and nobody was ever able to talk to him properly I started learning BSL but unfortunately he passed away a few months ago, but BSL has opened up another world of communication for me !

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I loved reading your varied reasons for doing BSL above.  I wear hearing aids and don't know if my ears will live as long as me, but even if I never need to use it for me, I can still use it to communicate with other people.  I have only been learning for 2 weeks but I am loving it.

• Haha 1

I heard on the television that when you get to an elder age, your brain stats to degenerate.  To avoid this learn to play a musical instrument and learn another language.

I have a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and am having Acoustic guitar lessons and recently, I have basic BSL lessons at my local library!

• Like 1

Hi, I'm new, I've just finished my Introduction to BSL course and I've come on here so I can keep practising and just keep it up. I wanted to learn it all my life just for the general knowledge and curiosity. I find it fun and like knowing I'm making deaf peoples lives easier each day, though I don't know much. I'm now working and have needed to help deaf customers so its become more a need of knowledge than just curiosity. but I do also need friends who know BSL to help me keep it up and hopefully help each other too. 

I have always been interested in Sign Language and I got more intrigued since I started working for the Interpretation&Translation Service NHS here in Edinburgh. We provide BSL Interpreters which are outsourced with an agency. And it would be great to get become involved more with Deaf people, the community workwise. I am attending an Introduction Course and continue with Level 1 in August. Level 2 and 3 at some point would be great if I can afford that. I found out that we have to pay the highest fees here for those courses in Scotland/if not the UK.

Even though I'm hearing I feel like it's really important to know BSL so I'm trying to learn it!
I've always loved languages, and BSL just seems like a must-know, because when you have a reason to know it you'll wish you learned it years ago?
I also have auditory processing disorder, and I occasionally go non-verbal so having an alternative way to communicate could be really useful.

I have always been fascinated with sign language but have never been able to find a course that fitted in with my work life, and the weekend courses were too far away to travel, until now.  Also as I am losing my hearing (currently got one hearing aid, and waiting for another one) I wanted to learn for that reason too 

I'm autistic and situationally nonverbal, so thought BSL would be really helpful for when I lose my words. I also have C-PTSD and it'll help notify people when I'm stuck in a flashback and can't talk. I also want to be able to communicate properly with D/deaf people when we meet. I'm really enjoying learning so far, it feels really natural and easy to my brain.

I am learning BSL to become more inclusive of all customers! Being a member of a management team in a retail store, I want to set a great example and pass on knowledge so we can welcome all customers into the store with confidence! 

I’m learning BSL as part of my Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award. I’ve always been interested in sign language and this has given me the perfect opportunity to learn a new skill. I would hope this will prove to be invaluable to me in the coming years.

Sign is something I have always been intrested in learning but could never find the time or anybody local that could help. With the the internet and video, I found the time and the place to be able to learn sign. 😊

I am learning BSL now, having previously dabbled a few times, because i think it's really important to broaden your skill set and what could be more important than a skill like signing, with the potential to really impact someone's day in a positive way if you could even just know the basics of signing. Who knows when it could come in useful?!

I am also a linguist by trade, so am a firm believer in good communication. This is another way to enable that desire to be able to communicate effectively with everyone around me.

Lastly, my partner and i had been searching for a while for a suitable evening course to pursue together. Given the restrictions lockdown presented, this online course seemed to fit the bill perfectly as a first step towards proficiency in a new skill whilst also being a fun activity for us to undertake together.

Edited by Lucas Mas

I work as cabin crew and have not come across another crew member who knows BSL in my three years of flying. I have decided with lockdown giving me too much time on my hands that I could actually put my spare time to good use. :-)