Barry Turner

School signing strategy has me baffled

I'm currently doing BSL level 2 as my daughter is deaf. For the first time this week we had a lecture on the grammatical and syntax difference between BSL and English and SSE. As many of you will no doubt know, the word order is very different. And confusing. So I now have a suspicion why my daughter at 11 has an English reading age of 5. Why would you teach two contradictory methods at the same time? It just defies logic. So my daughter is being taught English, SSE and BSL. I have now asked a professor of sign linguistics, the NDCS, the local autjhority and various support groups. I have received nothing so fa rthat explains this. Anyone here got any ideas?

I agree with you. It must be difficult for a child to then learn a different way to write from how they talk.  It’s bad enough understanding the concept of bsl   Never mind translating that into class work for a child 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• I'm about to start as a Child/Mental Health Nurse and already have a degree in Psychology and Counselling. I'm studying this for a few reasons; to help in my future placements as a nurse, to help my husband learn as he's losing his hearing and to help my daughter who is autistic and struggles with facial social cues. BSL has been proven to help with autistic's language learning (spoken and non-spoken) whether they be verbal or non-verbal, that's probably the main reason I'm here.
    • Hello everyone,  My name is Dave and I am currently completing the BSL introductory course. I am a primary school teacher in a mainstream school who has decided to learn sign language for different reasons. The main one being due to being interested in helping children communicate who find it hard to verbalise and also to help tailor my teaching to help include children who have hearing loss. I am finding the course really interesting and full of useful resources. I am aiming for complete a
    • Hi! I start as a Student Children/Mental Health Nurse in September and have wanted to learn BSL for a while, so I thought I would take this summer to brush up the very few signs I have known since childhood into an actual functioning working knowledge o the language so that I can better help future patients. I'd love to practise with someone, I'm starting lesson five today so I'm not exceptionally brilliant, but I'm eager! I'm currently struggling with the few different ways I've fou
    • Hi, I'm currently a 3rd year medical student - I've been able to get involved with some 'sciency' research, so would be interesting to talk/practice BSL in that regard. I always look to & enjoy meeting people in a similar field/common interests
    • I’ve been learning BSL informally for two years as part of my job as a support worker.  Was about to begin formal training just before the lockdown happened so not sure if/when it will be now. My workplace only fund level one as the people we support have very basic communication. I plan to go all the way though with the aim of becoming an interpreter in the future. So, in the meantime I am trying to get whatever experience I can. Particularly keen on developing my receptive language skills
    • Sign is always something that I have been very much interested in... I am really enjoying the learning and only wish that I had started it sooner. I feel that it is so important that we are inclusive and I would love to be able to have some of the skills to communicate on another level...
    • Is this group still meeting on zoom? 🙂
    • Hi, I am new to the world of BSL and am hoping that we can meet-up some how for practice! 😃
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker