New Signs

Although not strictly about a specific  sign, I was wondering if anyone could help...

Does anyone know which council or committee are in charge of deciding on a new sign being accepted into BSL? And, if there is any way to request a new sign to be 'created'? 

I've done some research and although the most official-looking BSL dictionary was put together by the BDA, I wonder who actually approved the common signs nationally. 

I saw that a Scottish Deaf scientist introduced many words as a new standard for scientific terms (as they were "tiresome" to fingerspell every time) but can't find out who approved of these. Even Wikipedia has drawn a blank. 

If anyone knows anything about the above I'd be very interested to learn, thanks! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hello my name is Neil and I am learning BSL as I am recently losing my hearing. I have decided due to the decline of my hearing that it is worth preparing for it going completely also teaching my children as I progress. I have just started my level 1 today. 
    • My name is Sabina and I have been learning to sign for just under a year. I've always been interested in sign language as I've always thought its such a unique, beautiful way to communicate between people. I would currently say that my signing level is probably around mid level 1. Its been a bit hard to improve my signing skills as I can't drive and my closest learning centre can't be accessed without a car. However, I would love to improve my signing skills and would love to practice with peopl
    • Hi, my name's Kelly, and I completed BSL Level 1 before Christmas and am now partway through Level 2. I first learnt some sign language about 20 years ago (BSL Level 1 at evening classes at college), but then life got in the way so it's taken me a while to start again! I love how expressive BSL is, and am hoping to use it for a job in the future. The problem I have at the minute is that I'm learning online, because my nearest centre to learn in person is 40 miles away, so I have an online t
    • Hi my name is Chelsea and I am a teaching assistant at a secondary school. I have started the introduction to BSL with some students at the end of the day due to our interest in learning to BSL
    • I have just signed up to an online course to learn BSL, I was inspired by Rose on Strictly Come Dancing and feel it would be great to communicate with people who have difficulty in hearing.
    • HI, my name is Nikki and I have started to learn sign language for both to help in my Job but also personal life. I have grandchildren that have learning difficulties and are starting to learn sign language. For my Profession I work in the NHS as a Radiology Department assistant in cross sectional imaging, which is CT and MRI.  I have always wanted to learn but now it will come in handy especially at the moment with having to wear masks all the time while in the hospital, I am hoping t
    • My grandson is mute and I always signed "non speaking". However someone told me the sign for mute is......holding a flat palm i facing inwards infront of mouth and pulling it slowly across mouth to the left side. Palm remainder open the whole time. Hope this helps.
    • I really liked reading your poem! It's a talent I lack myself haha, although my signing is not very distinct, it felt alright to read some content in sign to get my eyes used to reading face/hand movements! take care Sue!
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker