Sign in to follow this  
BSLnews

British Sign Language GCSE

An article in The Independent a few days ago that shares the news that the government is "open to considering" a new GCSE in British Sign Language.  This came after 35,000 signatures were collected in a campaign to see BSL taught more widely in schools.

You can read the full article here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/british-sign-language-gcse-government-nick-gibb-campaign-school-a8377466.html

GCSE BSL.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Hi I'm Mark from Cardiff, thank you for inviting me onto this forum. We have organise an event Celtic Americana Celebration of Voices being held at St Andrews Church, Cardiff on Thursday 12th March 2020. This is a live music event featuring Grammy award-winning Nashville singer songwriter Mike Farris with support from Hegsy and The Elements, Cathays Methodist Community Choir plus other guests to be confirmed! Admission also includes specially designed dishes of Southern American and Welsh food favourites. The show is fully BSL interpreted and we believe it is the UK's first fully-signed Americana music event, welcoming all audiences interested in Americana, Celtic and gospel music. Here is a link to an advert advertising the event. https://drive.google.com/file/d/174ZzIndu1U0bpLwUC5CE-WCA2igcPTBh/view?usp=sharing We would love to see you at this event. Tickets are available from : shop.matthewsnetmedia.co.uk
    • I'm a female in my 60s no longer earning a living.  I decided a while ago that my mind needed some stimulation and I considered that learning sign language might be just the thing.  PLUS, I thought, it could potentially be something that I could use in my local community to help others - if I can get  reasonably efficient at it of course!  I've started working my way through the on-line BSL course and finding it enjoyable.  But it's early days and I realise how long it's going to take... 
    • I have written a script in which one of the characters is deaf and communicates via sign language. However myself nor my team are able to speak sign language and wish to do the character the utmost justice and uphold a high standard of sign language the deaf community would be pleased with if they saw it in a film.   This is why I am asking if anyone would be available to advise or to record a video of their hand movements which actors can use as a point of reference.   Thanks
    • Hi my name is Stacy, I'm very new to BSL. I'm hoping to meet people I can practice signing with. I work as a volunteer costumed guide at Sherwood Forest Visitors Centre in Nottingham and although able to hear myself, I noticed that a fair amount of our guests have different needs including those that are hard of hearing and deaf. I'd love to be able to communicate to all of our visitors so decided that this was a good place to start!  I am struggling a little with the way questions are put into a different order etc but hoping that with practice this will begin to flow better. In the process of learning BSL my youngest daughter has taken to finger spelling everything so we have little conversations with ourselves which in turn, helps me practice! Anyway hoping to connect with people who might be willing to let a newbie practice signing and help build confidence along the way.
    • learning through the course like you and through a school club. So far its really convineant to talk across a silent study hall or class room and knowing sign language makes up for the fact that i failed german. I haven't been learning for long so my experience is quite limited but i'll update this if anything interesting happens
    • HI Fleur Just to help with your project, I am learning BSL because I work part time at the Royal Association for the Deaf as a Monitoring and reporting assistant.  Many of the people at work are deaf and it is therefore a requirement that all employees are proficient in BSL Level 2.  Although I am still part of the way through Level 1 (started the course in Sept 2019) I can see how it will useful when querying expenses etc.   I have passed the first assessment of Level 1, although at the age of nearly 71 yrs still sometimes have difficulty picking up some of the signs (it must be my age) but you are never to old to learn new things.  My course consists of one 2 hr morning session a week (paid for by RAD) with 8 other people and one tutor.  I find it very interesting (and sometimes frustrating) as the tutor himself is completely deaf, but am really enjoying it.                                                                                                                                                                         Good luck with the project Les
    • Hey! I am doing a major 2-year project on the accessibility of learning BSL. I would love to hear about a wide variety of people's experiences learning sign language. If you could tell me why you are learning sign language, how you are learning it, how much it cost for you to learn it, and finally how much aid you have had in learning it (eg - I am learning it because I want to be a paramedic when I am older, I am learning it through the british-sign course, it cost me £20, and I have had no aid). It would be SUPER helpful to get loads of different answers to these questions - and don't worry, I won't mention any names in my essay, it will be completely anonymous. Thank you so much in advance :P
    • Hey! I'm 17 and also in sixthform - started learning at the beginning of the academic year but have literally made no progress whatsoever. If you want to chat or sign or something - I'm looking for a BSL partner. 
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker