Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everybody, my name is Damien, I am French and started to learn ASL alone with Professor Bill Vicars' video. (Is this French guy lost?) Well nope, I hope to learn more about Deaf/ Hard-Of-Hearing Culture even though I am hearing. I can't only learn by heart, I am eager to live/use this language :D. Keep in mind [is this the right word??] the time gap between France and where you live, but I hope it won't stop us from learning together... Have a nice day and maybe see you soon !!! :D

Posted

Hi Damien.  Welcome.  How do you plan to use your ASL?  Why American Sign Language?  Wouldn't it be more beneficial for you to learn LSF?  Or do you plan to move to the United States or Canada?

Posted

Hi Lysandor ! You are right, I am actually studying English and ASL in order to move to US or Canada, both seems awesome to me. I learned LSF during a job experience once for a client. I wanted to learn more but everything courses was out of price for a 14 years old's wallet. I grew up and discover that sign language was not only "French oriented", that every country had its own signs. Learning ASL is both fun and interesting. I'd love to go to ASL event once I go there.

  • Like 1
Posted

Awesome.  The lifeprint videos are a great start.  I'm around video number 50 with them at the moment.  I'm also taking an ASL 2 class at my local community college.  Good luck with your learning. 

Posted

It really depends.  Most online programs and community college classes I've seen seem to go up to level 4.  There are programs for interpreters that get Bachelors degrees that go up to ASL 5 or so and then there are specialization classes specific to interpreting.  But I think it really depends on the individual program.  It seems that for basic community knowledge that 4 is the base knowledge and the rest you pick up through interacting with Deaf people.

Posted

i am leasing both hearing to both ear it started to happn 3 year ago for me to hear i either have to wear my hearing aid wish i rally feel weird wearing them.when i am not wearing them iyou have to yell for me to hear you i will love to learn asl .i only learn the sing to the faily and some of the color

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...