Angelo

Does FORGET sign mean anything other than FORGET.

I was looking for a sign the other day and the result was the exact same sign as the sign for FORGET.  I can't remember what sign I was looking up.  Any ideas?

As I am getting ready to go to work - it occurred to me.   The word was BECAUSE. 

According to HANDSPEAK.com, FORGET and BECAUSE have the same sign.   I have noticed that there are a few other signs on HANDSPEAK.com that are different than I learned on www.signlanguage101.com   I wonder if this is a mistake, or a dialect difference or something else.

Any thoughts?    

Thanx!

Angelo

You da man!  Thanx for pointing out the four choices for BECAUSE.  You've definitely demonstrated the difference between the 4th because and forget.  

I do appreciate.

Thanx!

• Like 1

As a side note, I've been told multiple times by different Deaf people to not use BECAUSE.  They've told me it's too English.  They prefer that you use a rhetorical question because it's more ASL.  For example, instead of signing, "I GO STORE BECAUSE I NEED EGGS", they would prefer you sign, GO STORE WHY, NEED EGGS.  That fits better to ASL grammar.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• If you are looking to become an ASL interpreter, you will need to have a bachelors in something.  The governing board for interpreters requires that you have a bachelors in order to sit for the exam. I think that to be a teacher of the deaf you do not have to have a degree in deaf education, but you would need a teaching certificate.
    • Hi, my name is Mell. I'm currently taking an ASL 101 class at Brookdale Community College and I have a project coming up where a partner and I are going to sign a song (A Whole New World from Aladdin). I'm writing out my gloss and have some questions about certain parts. If anyone could help that would be amazing, thank you!
    • I inspected the link it is a legit url, no signs of it being an affiliate link of any sort so I personally don't believe any profiteering would come of this. I'm new here but I think this is a great idea to spread the network of ASL; Allowing more to connect with each other. Thank you in my humble oppinion, this is a fantastic ideal.
    • Hello everyone, I'm Rj I hope your all doing amazing! I'm here to genuinely relearn Sign as its been many years without Signing I've lost quite a bit of knowledge. I'll Pick up fast, I'm going to be practicing with my mother Tammy she is half deaf and also hard of hearing on her right side. I was deaf for a few years because of a bad doctor and a horrible allergic reaction to a medication called "Gantrisin" which caused tissue damage and ruptured both my eardrums. After some surgeries and tubes I eventually regained my hearing and subsequently forgot much of what I once knew. I really have a soft spot for the deaf and hard of hearing community. Our family is a military family so we moved a lot, and I've lost touch with those I used to be close with that could Sign. I really would like to become fully fluent so I will hopefully be able to help others, meet new friends, or do some translating, I just hope to help and be happy make others happy as well. Peace