The sign for Wales is to hold up your three middle fingers bent slightly forward (like a claw), and move your hand straight downwards.

Video here: 

https://www.signbsl.com/sign/wales

The sign for Rose is the same as 'flower' but you use the lip-pattern (mouthing the word) rose, the sign is put your finger and thumb together and touch either side under your nose, like smelling a flower.

Video here:

https://www.signbsl.com/sign/rose

The sign for diamond is your non-dominant hand held flat, palm down (As if you were going to show someone your ring) and your dominant hand on top of that hand, fingers together and then open and close them quickly, as if to show sparkling of a diamond.

Video here:

https://www.signbsl.com/sign/diamond

There isn't an actual sign for platinum you would fingerspell p-l-a-t-i-n-u-m. You could use the sign for metal with the lip-pattern platinum, the sign for metal is your index finger taps your chin twice.

Video (for metal) here:

https://www.signbsl.com/sign/metal

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

On 12/07/2018 at 13:26, Kayla Smith said:

Ty! Much appreciated! Could Platinum maybe be the same as Gold and Silver, but with a P? x

I think you could use this informally, with friends/as a 'home sign'. Or if you were doing a speech/presentation where you would be repeating the word a lot you could fingerspell it once and signal that you are going to use that sign for platinum. For any new people you meet though they probably wouldn't immediately guess what you meant if you used 'P' the same as gold/silver, so then you may have to switch to fingerspelling, just for clarity. I think in most casual/informal situations and especially with friends it can be helpful to develop signs for a word you might use often, or that is hard to spell :) Just an opinion/my thoughts from my experience though, not a rule for signing in general.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Hi there, I've been learning BSL for about two years now and I'm currently half way through my level two course. I am studying occupational therapy at university and I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with occupational therapy as a Deaf service user or know of anyone who has used BSL as a method of communication while using occupational therapy?       
    • Not quite sure what you mean! I pressed the create button to make my original post asking for the BSL signs mentioned in my post. I don't see what you mean by suggesting I press the create button again!  
    • Hi there, I'm new to BSL and I am interested in how to teach English as a second language (ESL) to those who are hard of hearing and to those who are visually impaired. If there are any books that would give a seasoned ESL teacher pointers on how to do this, please can you recommend them. I look forward to receiving your recommendations and feedback.
    •  on the top of the page is a create button press that !
    • I wondered if anybody knows if there is a sign for papercrafting or something similar? I want to be able to tell my friends what my hobbies include without fingerspelling everything, which is arduous for them as much as for me. I make cards and other papercraft things. I also wonder if there is a sign for mermaid? My daughter is obsessed with them. I'm much the same with unicorns so if someone knows a sign for unicorn it would be much appreciated as the one time I tried I ended up trying to show a horn on my head and ended up making a rude sign, which was mortifying to say the least! Many thanks in advance for any help you can give x
    • Hi, I'm learning BSL as I am slowly losing my hearing, but also because I have deaf friends and want to communicate with them in their own language rather than just mine. Having completed a taster BSL course I am waiting to join a Level 1 BSL course in January. My friend has taught me quite a lot already although I realise its just a drop in the ocean as is the same with any new language. It takes time and practice to learn enough to get by!
    • Hi, I've just joined and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from you and hopefully be able to help others. I've just completed a BSL taster course and am waiting to join a Level 1 course in January. I am slowly losing my hearing and have deaf friends so it would be nice to be able to communicate with them in their language rather than just mine, as well as provide for the future should my hearing get much worse. I currently wear hearing aids to assist me. I live just outside Kidderminster in Worcestershire, not far from Birmingham, with my hubby and youngest but grown-up daughter. We have two dogs and a cat who is even more anti-social than I am!
    • Is there anywhere in the Ashingdon, Essex area which does any BSL courses, for beginners, with a TBI?
  • Fingerspelling Scoreboard

(top 10 - past 24hrs)

• Fingerspelling Animation Maker