Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am hearing.  I am learning sign language.  I sit in the ASL section at church and watch the interpreter.  Today the band performed King of My Heart by Kutless.    When they got to the part, "you're never gonna let me down" the interpreter ended (the word "down") by pointing with his index finger, to the middle of his chin, under his bottom lip.  Certainly that is not the sign for "down".  I looked up the sign for 'fail' but that's not it either.

So, what is this sign?    Thanks in advance. 

 

 

Posted

Hi Rolando,  I'm real new at ASL and slow at finger spelling. 

  • In the first video, It looked like you were finger spelling the word "lisapoint".   Did I misread?  If not, what does that mean?
  • Would you please interpret the 2nd video.  I really could not understand it at all.

Thank you.

Posted

Hey there, Angelo! It's great to meet you. I thought this was an interesting thread, so I'm happy to help translate Rolando's videos. In his first video, he finger-spelled "disappoint." In his second video, he says that when you interpret to (American) sign language, "I will not let you down" changes to "ME NOT DISSAPOINT YOU." Similarly, the second portion of the video says "you not will let me down" changes to "YOU NOT DISAPPOINT ME" and he concludes by asking if you understand. 

For PCGREER, adding more information... When interpreting, you should convey the overall meaning, and not sign it word-for-word in English. In this case, "letting someone down" is an English idiom, meaning to disappoint. It's also important to note that signs with the same handshape/location can have different meanings depending on context. Pointer finger to chin may also mean "miss," as in "I miss you," in other contexts. 

Thanks!

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Hi Rolando,  I'm real new at ASL and slow at finger spelling. 

  • In the first video, It looked like you were finger spelling the word "lisapoint".   Did I misread?  If not, what does that mean?
  • Would you please interpret the 2nd video.  I really could not understand it at all.

Thank you

Thanx - I misread "D" as an "L".  They don't call me newbie for nothing.  The 2nd video is over my head - but I'm still learning.  I appreciate the help!

  • Like 1
Posted

That sign can also be used to mean SAY.  If a deaf person sees a hearing person say something and wants to know what they said, they will tap their chin like that with scrunched eyebrows.  It translates to "What did they just say?"

  • Like 1
Posted

Translation: I'm going to show you some signs using both the chin and index finger. Ready? The first word you and I already know is "disappoint". "I'm disappointed". Next, "tell". "I told him/her blah blah blah", or "He/she told me blah blah blah". This can also mean "say" by tapping the chin. "What did he/she say?" "Ah he/she said blah blah blah". Next, "Serious". "He/she is serious". "I'm serious". Next, "true". "Wow, is that true??" It can also mean "Really?". "Wow, really?". So ya that's about all. Are there more words using both the chin and index finger? I don't know. You tell me :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Posts

    • I am taking my first class of ASL at a local community college.   I am hearing.  The teacher is Deaf and fantastic.   The language is beautiful.   I am learning because I have 3 neuro-divergent kids and I think this would be a good way to connect with them.
    • However, it tends to cover all aspects of the business curriculum in much greater depth. You get a formal degree qualification after spending a significant amount of time. Normally, it is more suitable for people seeking a comprehensive business education rather than for those focusing on and sharpening a single skill.
    • Hello all,   I am learning ASL through my church signing ministry.  I have been studying in the ministry for two years and I really enjoy learning the language.  I am also part of our signing choir.  I am being encouraged to begin interpreting part of our Sunday services and I want to improve my signing skills.  I saw this forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I am looking forward to any tips and help from the community.  Bye for now!😸
    • Hi! I'm a writer who loves realism and going down rabbit holes. I have a character with selective mutism and want to learn sign language in order to better portray signing in my story. Also, learning in general is fun and knowing multiple languages is useful.  Any advice on exploring and learning the language would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...